Monday, May 7, 2012

Weekend Excursions in Nica


I can’t help but be happy when I think of where I am in my life and physically in the world. Being here in Central America—Nicaragua I have had the opportunity see many things that I otherwise (being from a small town in Midwestern Illinois) might not have got to experience. I appreciate this semester I have had in Central America not only for the knowledge it has brought me, but for the traveling that I have been able to do in my free time.  We have seven weeks in total here in Nicaragua; with all of our weekends free. Including spring break, I have traveled every weekend to the different hot spots of Nicaragua. For Spring break I traveled to one of the two old capital cities in Nicaragua: Leon. We spent a few days there, hiked Cerro Negro and Volcano Boarded down it. Then we traveled to the Las Piñatas, a community on the Pacific Coast. There we spent the remainder of spring break on the coast; where I took surfing lessons. I also took a weekend trip to the famous San Juan Del Sur; a beautiful town on also on the Pacific Coast. We have visited the Masaya Volcano just outside of Managua, and it erupted (or had a volcanic burp) the next day.  As a group we took a day trip to the other historical capital of Grenada. My favorite trip was to the canyon in the little town of Somoto. We hired a tour guide who led us on a hike down into the canyon where we did a combination of hiking and swimming town this beautiful canyon.  







No comments:

Post a Comment