Monday, May 7, 2012

Nicaraguan Family


We moved in with our families in Batahola Norte the week before we left for spring break and lived with them for 5 weeks after we got back. I feel very lucky to have had the wonderful host families that I have had throughout this entire program, but my family in Batahola Norte are particularly wonderful. We lived with Marta, Leo Sr., their youngest son, his wife, and their three children (ages 10, 8, 6). We live in a humble little four room house with a corrugated tin roof and plywood to divide the bedroom walls. Marta is a stay at home grandma, she stays at home during the days talking care of her daughters little girl Margarita (1 and a half years old) and taking care of the house. Margarita was one of the highlights of my host family. I always looked forward to see here in the morning before we leave for school and in the evenings when we got home. Marta is the other highlight. She is so sweet, constantly worrying about us and taking care of us. She makes us fresh juice every day and cooks us wonderful homemade Nicaraguan food. Gallo-pinto (rice and bean fried together) is the staple of the diet here and we eat it with every meal. I have come to love Marta’s gallo-pinto in particular.








                Today was a sad day; we all moved back into the center where we study for the last few remaining days. Saying good bye to the families was really difficult. Not only hard to say goodbye to my own family but to the community. Over the course of the last 5 weeks we have spent a lot of time and gotten to know many of the other host families in the community. As Marta told us, “My door is always open and you will always have a Nicaraguan family here”.  I feel very grateful to have shared this experience with them and I will forever have a place in my heart for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment